tiling on a floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,am i ok to tile on a chipboard floating floor on 50mm insulation,if so what will be best to use to over board the chipboard,i am wanting to use a 10mm natural slate tile which are 600mm x 400mm,many thanks steve

Sponsored Links
You will need to overboard with ply minimum 12mm, ideally 18mm , or replace the chipboard with ply if level needs to be maintained.

Be warned that tiling onto a floating floor (as opposed to a suspended floor) especially one with a timber base is very risky; you need to consider preparation & special tiling materials if you want to avoid tile failure. A great deal also depends on the rigidity & compressibility of the insulation used.

I would ditch the chipboard altogether, it’s crap; unsuitable for tiling in general but will not give a floating floor sufficient rigidity. You need to use a suitable thickness WBP (actual thickness will depend on load/use of the area), where is the floor? You should also consider over boarding with a decent 12mm thick backer board which will make the floor far more dimensionally stable; you will also need an uncoupling membrane between the tile base & the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back