Tiling on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm going to be fixing a single row of small ceramic tiles directly to plasterboard. The area is dry. Should I prime the plasterboard first, and if so, with what?

Many thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Sob
cry_blownose.gif

Hi Richard. I'm not a tiler, but have done plenty of DIY. Yes, I would prime the area with PVA. the reason being that plasterboard is very porous and will suck the moisture straight out of your adhesive.

The alternative is to use a grab adhesive, rather than tile adhesive. I have used 'Pink Grip' before to lay some mosaic tiles on a hardboard backing and they are still there, fine, you can still grout as normal.

Sponsored Links
PVA is unsuitable for tiling on.

I never knew that !! I just PVA'd my concrete floor in my kitchen and retiled it !!!

Why is it not suitable ? What would you suggest instead of PVA ?

Remember, the chap is only tiling ONE row of tiles.

Hello all, and thanks for the advice. It's not going to get wet. As it happens I just tiled directly to plasterboard with bog-standard wall-tile adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back