tiling onto aqua board-should it be plastered first...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im after refitting my full bathroom from top to toe taking it back to the bare brick and starting from scratch.
im after fitting a 1200x700 shower cubicle aswell as a bath.
can aquaboard be dot and dabbed onto bare brick the same as normal plasterboard..
can aquaboard come in 8foot x4foot sheets as ive only seen it in smaller 4footx4 foot sheets roughly-if so whats best to seal the joint before tiling or will tile adhesive do the job

is it worth tiling directly onto this board or getting whole bathroom plastered.

is it just a case of using this in the wet areas-ie shower cubicle area and bath area and using normal plasterboard elsewhere.
any advice much help as want a proper job doing..
thanx don

Sponsored Links
can aquaboard be dot and dabbed onto bare brick the same as normal plasterboard..

Yes, whilst they don't recommend it, it does work and gives a good secure hold providing you prep the wall surface and adhesive properly. Be sure to PVA the entire wall to seal it and secure loose elements, also flatten the wall as much as you can prior to starting to ensure that the board has a good flat starting surface.

If you search for my past threads, you'll find a thread discussing this exact question. I dab/dot'd around the entire edge of the board, then a dab/dot every 3/4 inches or so to cover the entire surface.

can aquaboard come in 8foot x4foot sheets as ive only seen it in smaller 4footx4 foot sheets roughly-if so whats best to seal the joint before tiling or will tile adhesive do the job

I don't think so due to the weight of these boards, trust me manouvering just one of these boards is hard work, you wouldn't want to try and locate one twice the size! They butt together nicely anyway, just use a large/long plastering style ruler to ensure that your resulting surface is flat across boards.

is it worth tiling directly onto this board or getting whole bathroom plastered.

Aquaboard is designed to be tiled straight onto, however I prep'd mine first using BAL Waterproofing Primer, only about £10.00 a bottle, one of which covered my entire bathroom.

Personally I used BAL products entirely, they're not cheap but they are nice to work with, don't set ridiculously quickly and are really workable. Don't settle for cheap products when tiling/grouting.

is it just a case of using this in the wet areas-ie shower cubicle area and bath area and using normal plasterboard elsewhere.

Aquaboard has a built in moistureblock, it is also a proper tileboard and so is designed to support a fair amount of weight, for that reason I opted to use it throughout all walls of the bathroom that I was refitting. At least I know that in the event of removing tiles or fitting fixtures, the backing is nice and strong.

any advice much help as want a proper job doing..
thanx don

Disclaimer, I am not a professional but I'm a competent DIYer and have just completed a successful bathroom tiling, plumbing and electrical refit successfully - a professional on here even commented that the finish was better than most he had seen professionally :D Hope this all helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back