tiling onto epoxy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anybody know if tile adhesive will stick to an epoxy resin?
if so, could i coat my 18mm ply base with an epoxy resin before tiling?

Sponsored Links
Use a flexible powdered adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles and it should stick no problem. But dare I ask why you want to do this?
As always, I recommed 25mm WBP for an ideal floor to tile onto when replacing floorboards; or 12mm WBP when overboarding. Have a look at the sticky thread for fixing details.

well i have experiance in boat making and i know that an epoxy coat aplied to a sheet of ply will make a waterproof seal for years to come.

now i wanna see if i can use this as a cheap solution to tanking a bathroom.

i know the ply and epoxy will work, if the tiles stick to the epoxy then i could have a cheap solution

any toughts?

Personally I would shy away from wall tiling onto ply in any wet situation due to the fact that it is inherently unstable with changes in atmospheric conditions. Tanked plasterboard would be better.
If you're talking about floors, then I would leave the decision up to you about the suitability of an epoxy "resin" - that's not what we generally do you see. Although I can say that a porcelain adhesive should stick fine to an epoxy resin, I cannot vouch for the ability of epoxy resin to provide a waterproof barrier. What I would say is that anything is better than nothing.

Sponsored Links
i had a look at the bal tanking products and its not much more expensive than epoxy so i think i will go with the trusted method :LOL:

as for the walls, can i use a tanking product straight onto the wall (raw plaster) or do i have to use tanked plasterboard?

you see, 10mm tile plus 10mm plasterboard, that will give me a 20mm jump where the painted wall ends and the tiled wall starts.

i would like to avoid this ip pos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back