Tiling onto fresh plaster: disaster or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to start painting our new bathroom, which has been freshly plastered all over (now dry). I'm starting with a mist coat, and am just wondering whether I should put the mist coat all over, even in a corner where we will be installing a shower, with tiles in that area.

I've been trying to research whether I should leave the plaster bare for the tiler, or whether at least to put down a mist coat in order to seal it a bit. We'll be putting on 250x400mm tiles, nothing too chunky.

But I'm thoroughly confused. Some suggest that fresh plaster is a disaster for tile adhesive (too absorbent), and recommend a mist coat or even special seal coat (even PVA). Others say that it's best to tile directly onto the plaster, because a layer of paint is not the best medium to hold tiles up. The plasterer suggested I don't apply paint, but he's a plasterer and not a tiler.

A mist coat doesn't really add a layer, it mainly soaks in. So I'm thinking that at least a single mist coat would be sensible.

But, as I say, I'm thoroughly confused by the mixed messages. Any advice appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Better off with an acrylic sealant. Don't tile on bare plaster, it won't grip.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for being thick, but aren't tiles waterproof already... what is the need for an expensive waterproofing layer underneath? I appreciate that grouting will fail/leak over time, but a waterproof layer will just cause the leaks to track down onto the floor/ceiling below?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back