Tiling onto Plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is going over old ground..
I have boxed in some pipework to provide a panel behind a 'back-to-wall' toilet and bidet.
The panel is 13mm structural ply which I intend to tile with 600x300 ceramic wall tiles, tiled area roughly 1600x850mm. It's in a traditional bathroom (not wet room), my expectation is that fixing with a flexible adhesive will be fine.
However further reading here, more towards fabricating a tiled bath panel (same tiles) suggests tiling onto ply at all is a major no-no. I have used tile-backer board around the shower and bath, but its a bit flimsy, and ply is better to mount fittings like a loo-roll holder or towel ring. If the tiles will not hold to the ply with any adhesive or other preparation, I will have to redo it.
Any other options?

Sponsored Links
Best thing is to put plasterboard over the plywood then tile onto that it will stick alot better its the best substrate to tile to.
Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back