Tiling/sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a couple of electric sockets above the worktop of my new kitchen. The whole area will eventually be tiled - the problem is that I don't know how to accomodate tiles around the sockets! As the area above the worktop is open ended I do not need to cut any tiles to fit the area and I want to maintain this uniform look even where the sockets are located. I would like the sockets to simply sit on top of the tiles - is it possible to drill through tiles so that I can simply mount the socket front on top and screw through to the plate behind?

I hope I'm not being daft.

Sponsored Links
If none of the tiles are cut how will you access the wires?

You should cut the tiles so that when mounted the earthed metal box can just be seen all the way round (ie have 4 L shaped tiles making the hole) and then when you fite the face plate it will sit on top of the tiles.

Meblin

PS I'll try doing a picture for you later

If I may add to Meblin's post by saying I've got an electric tile cutter from Machine Mart. It's got a diamond blade and makes cutting 'L' shaped tiles easy. There's one just over £40 & my opinion is it's well worth it.

murraysnudge said:
If I may add to Meblin's post by saying I've got an electric tile cutter from Machine Mart. It's got a diamond blade and makes cutting 'L' shaped tiles easy. There's one just over £40 & my opinion is it's well worth it.

Totally agree with the electric cutters. I think you can pick them up for about £30 in B&Q or Topps Tiles

Meblin

Sponsored Links
Here's a piccie for you

tileswitch.jpg

Meblin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back