Tiling Wet room - backer boards, decoupling... - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

First time posting on the tiling section but I don't think it'll be the last! I've given myself a new project and have started researching how best to go about it - to fit a new bathroom/wet room.

The walls and flooring of the wet room will be tiled. We will also fit electric underfloor heating. I'd thought to use a wet room floor former with a linear drain rather than try to make my own one.

I have a few questions and it would be great to hear your thoughts/advice:

1. Where the walls are brickwork, can I tile straight onto them or do I need to install a backer board like Marmox? Fitting marmox on timber battens will certainly help make a level wall surface to tile on!

2. The floors are timber on timber joists (1st floor). In addition to waterproof/tank the room, Id like to "decouple" the floor and thought of using Schluter Ditra matting over marmox boards. Is this overkill and could I get away with only the marmox? Are there any (perhaps better) alternatives.

3. As an alternative to the above, I thought I could insulate between the joists, relay the timber floors, lay aluminium foil (heat reflection?) on the timber and then lay the Ditra matting over this (then underfloor heating mat and tiles). This seems a little unconventional so I'm expecting it to be shot down! :). The advantage of not using the marmox is cost saving and a smaller step from the hallway into the bathroom. On the negative, I'm not sure how/if the foil would work and, with insulation in between the joists there would be many thermal breaks.

4. The wet room floor formers vary hugely in price. Is there anything to be weary of with the cheaper ones or is it more a branding issue etc (apologies if this is a question better suited to the bathroom section)?

Thanks a lot for all your help..I look forward to hearing it!

Zigs :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back