Timber Column

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi y'all
I'm converting a mezzanine-type of storage area in what used to be the garage, into a mezz. bedroom area, and to get a compliant staircase in, will have to cut away the main joist for the staircase access. This goes from wall-wall (widthwise) and supports the other joists.
Before I go to nice Mr Building Inspector, can you tell me if it would seem plausible to support the 'free' end of this joist with a reclaimed hardwood railway sleeper - using it as a column? This would be approx 150mm x 2600mm in section; joist being 100mm width.
If ok, whats the best way to fix it to the floor (timber on solid floor) and to the joist?
Thanks for taking the time to read and perhaps for your suggestions :)

Sponsored Links
Probably. Only Mr Building Inspector can give a definitive answer, but he might want calcs to show that it works. (Moreso the connections rather than the sleeper itself)

Ideally you notch into it and bolt, at the top.
Probably a bolt down steel plate at the bottom. A 'tee' cut from an rsj slotted into the timber and bolted through would work.

The timber should be more than good enough, but I think the point load on the floor (ie thickness of slab), should be checked for suitability

I think just some sort of small peg or two will do for the base, as you only need to stop it sliding or twisting, and another peg or strap or right-angle bracket for the top, depending on what fits and whether it will be seen or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back