Timber for alcove shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to fit some shelves into the alcove of my living room but I'm unsure which is the best timber for the job. My preference was to use oak because I like the way it looks but I thought it might be too heavy. The shelves will be 1620mm x 200mm (30mm thick) and will be used for books so they will be carrying a lot of weight. The shelves will be supported by battens running the full length of the shelf.

Would oak be suitable for this or would people recommend something else? I used pine for these shelves in my previous place but as I said, I prefer the look of oak.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hardwood doesn't generally come "Planed All Round" (PAR) as pine or other softwood does. It comes in either square edged (imported) or wany edge (from UK source) sawn boards. In either case the timber will need planing, so you will end up with smaller dimensions. It's usual to allow a minimum of 3mm a side for planing. ie 6mm per dimension. 32 mm thick will end up as approx 26mm.
There are firms online who offer supply as well as machining services.
Oak is going to cost considerably more than pine, but it would be my first choice too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back