timber frame of block for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a two story 90m2 (45m2 per floor) extension to my 1920's solid wall house.

I am planning to project manage the whole build and was looking at the best route options.

Originally I was going to go Block and Block, render to match existing but was then told about timber frame.

Looking into this i can several advantages and disadvantages.
I plan on an internal open panel frame with block rendered exterior. I have received quotes for approx £25k inc vat for the frame including insulation, roof (untiled), first floor (posi-Joists), and fully erection service.

Obviously from a self build approach this seems very attractive to me. It will save me a lot of time and hassle commissioning just one company to come in and get me watertight in a week!

However I have several concerns mostly however getting the levels right (partially the second floor) and joining to existing (thermal bridging/shrinkage).

When i showed my plans to a structural engineer who loves timer frame for whole build he said it was best to use Block the same as original.

I would rate my skill level as experienced DIYer what would you suggest is the best course here?

Thanks

BB

Sponsored Links
Does your 25k include the external blockwork leaf? If not, then it may be a litt pricey; last timber frame quote I had was for a 3 storey, 280sqm house at 44k erected. Edit: just noticed the inc vat/Sussex parts, which bring it a bit more in line with the mid to late teens I'd have expected for "oop north newbuild"

I don't see a problem with mating the two structures; the blockwork external leaf can b made contiguous, and timber frame attaches to brick/block all the time, so attaching the inner timber to your existing inner brick at the openings isn't really a concern. Not sure why levels would be a problem either; if your old floors are so wonky that eye won't align wi the new ones because they slope, then you'll get at problem regardless of what the extension is made of

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks actual quote was 15k plus £4K erection plus 2.5k to insulate. Plus vat so £26ish. I had another quote for £35k for basically thd same thing. Got two more quotes due in soon.

Hard to guess what 21m block work cost if you include vaulted roof, posi joists, a 6m internal stub wall, insulation and labour but would probably be slightly cheaper overall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back