Timber Frame to block up garage door/opening....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum and am planning to block up my garage door opening using a timber frame with cladding on the outside.

I hope to leave an opening for a standard wooden door to one side of the opening but have a couple of questions....

I understand that I need to sit the sole plate onto some concrete foundations so plan to remove a line of block paving blocks to line things up etc. How wide/deep do these need to be?

I've got a pretty good idea on how the frame needs to be built/constructed but am unsure on the DPC requirements. How do I tie it in to the brickwork DPC either side?

Does anyone have any pictures of what this would look like?

Thanks

Bezza

Sponsored Links
If you put "timber frame wall" into Google, and there are no pictures of this on the first page of images, I'll come down and build it myself for you:cool:

*T&C apply

Wow, thought this was a forum to help out people who'd used google and where struggling to find the answers not a forum from Smart @rse individuals who about as helpful as a f@rt in a spacesuit!

I've done what you suggested previously, and again just now, it simply brings up several sites offering insulation products for sale, not answering the questions I have.

What time shall I expect you dooshbag? ;)

Lol. Sorry, the T&C's clearly state that the standard of abuse needed to be witty, novel and above junior school level.

Meanwhile here's a picture of a frame on DPC. Turn it on its side as required. I found this on the net somewhere.

001-Detail%20showing%20external%20DPC%20and%20soleplate%20clip%20layout.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is a standard garage door size you could use a 140 x 100mm deep concrete lintel to support the timber frame and bed it into the piers by 150mm either side. Check Building Control will accept this though but that is often a method use rather than digging a foundation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back