Timber frame window and door openings, waterproofing advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm building a decent size timber workshop/shed at home.

I'm effectively building it like a common US timber frame house, lined inside, 4x2 framework, insulated, breather membrane then cladding the outside with T&G tanalised shiplap cladding.

The windows and door are double glazed UPVC, I already have them, they were mis-measured units from a local UPVC place.

The window and door openings, I really want to waterproof them before fitting the windows and door and I can find lots of information on this on youtube and the likes with pretty specific instructions on cutting away the breather membrane, folding it back into the openings then starting at the bottom lining the timber rough opening with all weather self adhesive flashing tapes before fitting the window, then sealing around the window with the same tapes, like the below:

The thing is I cant seem to find anything like these sealing tape products here in the UK.

Would a product like Everbuild black Jack adhesive flashing tape do the job I'm after?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Probably a bit over kill but that never hurts.
Aluminum foil tape would probably do too which is about half the price per roll but a bit more fragile.
Might be worth putting a quick link to this thread in the building forum as anyone who does timber framing is probably going to know the correct stuff.

I have used aluminium flash banding in the past but as said it is expensive.
My method has always been.
Turn back breather, usually just staple, but you could tape.
fit window and silicone gaps nice and flush
mask window frame
fit flash banding over whole reveal and turn back onto window frame over masking.
fit timber stops into reveal.
trim flash banding and masking tape slightly behind timber reveal stops then silicone the slight gap between the stop and window frame.

Cheers for the replies gent's, much appreciated, not too worried about the cost as it's only two small windows and a door opening, just want to do it right.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Here's what I did at the reveals. It's not as involved as those videos.

But you need to be careful of the detail at the frame head and cill.

Note150916_0.jpg

indeed at the head I would normally cut the reveal framing pieces at an angle at the top and fit a similar piece across the head with the membrane lapped down over it slightly, and mastic underneath. Just make sure the angle is sufficient that water will actually drip off and not track back, you can cut a drip into it if you want but I have never bothered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back