timber framed and clad 1st floor extension ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all...
we have a freestanding garage constructed of double skinned blockwork with 100mm cavity and 50mm insulation and a flat roof.
on top of this we would like to build a pitched roof extension, rising front to back, with a 4m fall from 2.5m to 0m one side and 2m fall of 2.5m to 2m (see photo)
the current garage roof is level with the garden so basically we're making a summer house on top, or want to as I'm still waiting to hear from planning.
I'll be removing the existing flat roof and replacing/adding joists and laying a floor in it's place.

questions are...
is timber frame the best option and most likely to get through planning, or, as the foundations are deep enough, should I just continue up in block ?
also need to know how do I attach the timber frame to the blockwork so it won't blow away ?

thanks

158000_157719_84265_44731167_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
went in to planning today for some advice... the advice I got was... "look on our website, all the information and forms are on there"

great help, didn't even tell me the website address :(

Sponsored Links
went in to planning today for some advice... the advice I got was... "look on our website, all the information and forms are on there"

great help, didn't even tell me the website address :(
IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT SOME ADVICE REPOST IN THE BUILDING OR PLANNING & BUILDING REGS SECTION! JEEZ

Firstly you would definitely need planning permission, ignoring all the relevant height criteria, outbuildings must be single story to avoid planning permission.

With regards to how to build it I would just carry the masonry cavity wall up. There’s little advantage to going up in timber frame, weight for weight it’s not a lot different, planning will only be concerned with the exterior finish and what you make the wall out of usually has low impact on the finishes.

All assuming the foundations/existing walls can cope of course. BC will likely expect you to expose some foundations unless you have photographic evidence to prove their worthiness.

thanks all, was put in touch with a local builder yesterday, he's been out today to take a look and advised me to go for a vaulted roof as planning would almost certainly not allow what I'd proposed.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back