timber gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I made a 90 cm by 60 cm timber gate for my back garden by cutting three pieces of 7 cm by 4 cm timber to make a "Z" shaped frame to screw 8 timber panels into it. I am going to screw it into a 75 cm square timber post. The timber post is kept in place by a spike socket and the spike goes 750 mm into the soil. My question is: will the timber post withstand the weight of the garden gate? Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
The post will MORE than handle the weight of the gate... What wont, is the spike.

You'll shortly be inundated by haters of these devices and recomended to dig probably about 30-50cm into the ground, put the post in and use post fix.

dig hole, put gate post in 2 feet down, concrete it in. leave alone let concrete set, then hang gate a few days later. Take metal spike and shove it up bottom of bloke in shop who told you it would work and it was a good ide.

Alternativley ignore advice, proceed as before, wait for gate to start dropping, get annoyed and then go to top of page and start again

Sponsored Links
dig hole, put gate post in 2 feet down, concrete it in. leave alone let concrete set, then hang gate a few days later. Take metal spike and shove it up bottom of bloke in shop who told you it would work and it was a good ide.

Alternativley ignore advice, proceed as before, wait for gate to start dropping, get annoyed and then go to top of page and start again
Thank you all for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back