Timber sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size/width timber is used to make a sash that can take a double glazed unit.The double glazed unit has to be up to current regs/uvalue. Is 44mm ok?

Sponsored Links
Made 8 sashes last year for a customer with 44mm...Used 4/6/4/ sealed unit,argon filled warm edge pilkington "k" glass...no idea on the u values but customer is well chuffed with his nice warm kitchen now :).

S/U is thin but makes the sashes look almost exactly like the old ones....44 windows in total in the house,so they had to match.Outside of sash is beveled to recreate putty line and unit put in from inside and new bead as close as possible to the rest of the other windows.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Thanks PBSCO. I have read of people using 44mm with 4 6 4. wasn't sure if it was upto building regs though.

Well I have to give him somethingto work with and would feel more confident with some figures regarding u values etc.
I gust wondered if there was standard off the shelf sash timber for the use of making up sashes to accept D/G units. They don't need to match any existing replacements re box depth. They simply have to be upto current regs but my local timber merchants don,t seem to stock the neccesary materials or have any experience in what is available so I have to specify exactly what size i need. So I need to knoew the size of the D?G units in order to order to tell them what size timber sash I need. :confused:

With timber you can achieve very low u-values, forget pilkingtons 'k' glass use someone that uses planitherm total plus glass, argon ( or krypton / zenon gas with thinner units) with a warm edge spacer bar ie swiss spacer / super spacer. And your supplier will need to prove that they are a minimum 1.6 u value or 'c' rated as required for all new/replacement installations from last october.

Hmmmmmmmmmm double glazing secrets lol. Got this from the site

Pilkingtons K Glass (Softcoat) wrong hardcoat.

Saint Gobain planitherm (Hardcoat) wrong softcoat.

Site's like this are ok but when they get basic information wrong like it can cost people money usually the homeowner!

Pilkington "k" glass can be hard and soft coat and Planitherm is french...know which I would choose... :).....ok so Pilkington is owned by the Japanese now but still French.lol.

Both do the job, both give good u value...combine this with a warm edge spacer and argon fill the unit and you can't go far wrong..

Argon is the cheapest then krypton and then xenon.

Not sure about the space between the glass...Mainly a bigger unit is a ploy for D/G firms,to sell more units because theres have a bigger space,so are better :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back