Timber stud setting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when constructing a new stud partition do i set the studs out at 600mm ctrs and then at the end whatever odd measurement happens to be there happens? or do i space them equally along the legth of the wall?

Eddy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Studding is set out on 400mm centres - do not use 600mm centres.
Most all framing centres are @ 400mm.
Plaster board is fixed the full length horizontally @ 2400mm across the studs.
Corners & openings require backing studs or blocking.
Cut boards, of any kind, must span at least two bays ie. 800mm, & have three fixings.

Last edited:
I'm not being critical, I merely want to set the record straight for any DIY'ers or self-builders.

The reasons I suggest dont use 600mm centres are:
As above, most all framing centres are 400mm - eg. stud walls, roof rafters & floor joists.
They are 400mm because its been found to be the most supportive span in most framing situations.
Anyone coming behind (including some BCO's) will be expecting to find & work to 400mm.
eg. boards might flex at 600mm and loosen tile or crack skim finish.
600mm floors might creak or sag.
Devices are built to fit in 400mm bays.

600mm is obviously used in certain situations but its often the case that these situations need heavier framing sections, & the situation calls for 600mm - IOW's its not something that should be randomly, or casually, plugged into a framing schedule.

Depends on your board thickness. 400mm is the max for 9.5 600mm for 12.5.
On a big estate the saving in timber can be a fair amount to the developer.
However for a single wall in your own house you have to decide whether you want the extra strength or save on a few bits of timber.

Your spacing needs to allow for the plasterboard sheet sizes which are 1220 wide.
Sorry, but no they aren't. Plasterboard is in metric size sheets in the UK, so 1800 x 900mm, 2400 x 1200mm, etc. Plywood is in Imperial sizes, so 8 x 4ft (2440 x 1220mm). A small point, but a vital one. For boarding with PB the stud centres must match the sheets for obvious reasons. Like Vinn says I'd normally use 400mm stud centres on walls (with 600mm on ceilings)

also set the first stud 1200 to the centre from wall( so it works with first board) and work your centre from there
400cc best but if i have to go 600cc put two rows of noggings in makes a hell of difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back