Time limit on encroachment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a time limit for encroachment?
On receipt of land deeds it has become obvious that the next door neighbour has a sometime taken advantage of a previous vulnerable occupant.
There was an alleyway between the two houses which the deeds show belong to the property we have purchased.
The neighbour has taken possesion of the alleyway extending it further to build an extension on the rear side of the house and further taking a four foot width of ground to build the extension.
The previous owner has not highlighted any of this (that is if they knew).
The roofing arrangement is now bizarre as although the chimney flue is from our property externally , no clean lines of reroofing, there is no access to it from our side.
We worry how we stand legally on this if at some point they fail.
How does it affect the council tax? , how does it affect our building insurance?

Sponsored Links
Never straightforward but if the neighbour has occupied and maintained the land openly for more than 20 years they probably would be able to claim it. If I were you I would also download a copy of their land registry plan to see what it shows. Mistakes do happen and for all you know the actual ownership of the land may not be that clear.

Thanks for the information, it does appear the extension was not built to planning regulations.
The extension has become the immediate party wall and is two storeys high.
I have checked both land registries and the deeds / boundary line show that the alleyway and where the extension has been built has been falsely adopted and built on.
I should cry the neighbour next door has encroached with their boundary wall too.

Sponsored Links
You appear determined to get off on the right foot with your new neighbour.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back