Timed extractor won't stay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new timed extractor operated by a pullcord switch. It comes on fine, but switches off completely when I pull the cord (i.e. doesn't stay on with timer).

I've wired it according to the instructions, as follows:

1. Used an old unused shaver socket cable as the supply (took socket away!).

2. Fed L, N, E into Load side of a pullcord switch.

3. Output SL, N, E from pullcord goes to SL, N, E on fan.

4. Created a permanent L from Load L to connect to fan L.

Anyone know why it won't work?

CLUES ARE : L, SL and N are always live (according to my electric screwdriver).

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
bin your screwdriver for a start.

you need to have a permanebt supply to the fans live neutral and earth, the switched live should be connected via the switch.

you also ned to fit a tripple pole isolator

As other have said you should have a 3p isolator for isolation purposes.
Have you turned the timer screw up inside the fitting also?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies chaps.

Breezer - from your reply it looks like the culprit may be...the fan N connects to the 'feed side' of the switch. From what you say it looks like I should switch it to the Load side N (i.e. direct connection). This would leave the only the L operated by the switch. (i.e. E & N direct connection). Correct?

I have fitted a FCU, so I'm ok there.

As for the screwdriver - not heard that before - it's always been pretty reliable as an on/off indicator.

The N to the extractor needs to be connected to the feed N.
The L to the extractor needs to be connected to the feed L.
The Ls to the extractor needs to be connected to the load L.
Where is the FCU in the circuit? Is there an alternate source of light i.e. a window?
Neon screwdrivers use you as part of the circuit, if it should go wrong then you are in for a shock!

Spark123,

Now I'm confused again...that seems different to Breezer's advice.

N and L are both connected as you recommend (Feed side of switch to Extractor).

You surprise me with the Ls Extractor to Load L - surely that would make it permanently on rather than switched.

(FCU is upstream from the Load, so I can isolate if required. Thx for info on screwdriver!)

the fan needs a supply all the time so that the timer can run after the switched live has been switched off

Breezer, Spark123,

I understand the basic principle that the fan needs power all the time to operate the timer, and uses the switched L to initiate.

But as for the wiring - I'm a little confused with your advice.
Which one of these is correct? (Earth omitted for simplicity)

Option 1
Feed L - Extractor SL
Load L - Extractor L
Feed N - Extractor N

Option 2
Feed L - Extractor SL
Load L - Extractor L
Load N - Extractor N

I am currently set up with Option 1 - so this can't be right.

Feel free to add Option 3!

Are you using a switched Neutral at the fan?

I have done this myself before, spend ages trying to figure out what I had done wrong & realised that although it has a permanent live & a switched live, the neutral was switched through the pull cord :oops:

Feed L - Extractor L
Load L - Extractor SL
Feed N - Extractor N

Hi Pensdown,
Wow - that seems weird...

Seems illogical to me because the 'Load L - Extractor SL' will always be live (I assumed the SL would be off/on). Also connecting the Feed L (which must be on/off via the switch) to the Extractor L is the wrong way round in my head.

However, my head may well be wrong - but can anyone explain so I can understand?

The normal way to connect a DP switch is to have the Supply to the Feed terminals, the appliance etc to the Load terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back