Timer or Constant - Which is Better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe not one for here but seems as good a place as any.

Which will use more gas and work the boiler more:

- Set CH to timed (2 hours in morning and 4 at night)
Or
- Set CH on constant and lower thermostat

My house is new and boiler very efficient. With weather as cold as it is the house loses about 5 degrees while at work or overnight.

If I set my CH to constant and thermostat to 19 the house stayz lovely and warm. If I set CH to timed it is on almost constant in a morning and for a good chunk or the evening warming the house back up.

I can see the benefits of leaving it on but lower but wondered what others think.

Sponsored Links
Question has been asked 1000 times; the longer you have the heating on, the more gas you use.

Take a gas meter reading first thing in the morning then leave the system in timed heating for a day.

Take a new reading the following morning leaving the system on constant and compare the two results.

Would only work of course if the weather stayed constant or near enough over the two days.

Everyone will have a different opinion I am sure on this so do the calculation yourself for an exact figure of what suits your house best

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Was going to do meter reads but meter currently embedded in snow and ice :)

I know everyone will have their own opinion but I was wondering what everyone's was and why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back