Tiny leak under WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced both the syphon and flush valve in our downstairs WC. It's all working OK, but there is a tiny leak coming from where the water supply pipe goes into the flush valve (it goes in underneath). When I say tiny I mean one drip every few hours. I can't see for sure whether the leak in the seal where the valve screws onto the cistern, or where the supply pipe screws onto the valve.

The flush valve had new washers in the box with it, and the instructions said just to finger tighten and not to use a spanner. At first I did that but it was leaking more, so I did use a spanner gently. It probably would tighten a bit more but would need quite a bit of force, and given what it said in the instructions I don't want to break it given it's such a tiny leak. Similarly the connection to the water supply, I've put plumbers tape around it and tightened it fairly tightly but without going too mad.

Do I just need to be brave and tighten them a bit more? How tight is too tight?

Many thanks for any advice.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Photos?
Do you mean "fill" or "inlet" rather than flush valve?
Did you replace the (red) thin fibre washer where the supply pipe connects on to the bottom of the inlet valve? Be careful as they are also easy to cross-thread.

Photos?
Do you mean "fill" or "inlet" rather than flush valve?
Yes sorry!
Did you replace the (red) thin fibre washer where the supply pipe connects on to the bottom of the inlet valve? Be careful as they are also easy to cross-thread.
Ah that's probably it. No I didn't. I'll try that, many thanks.

Here, Just found one in my pocket! :D
image.jpg

They swell when wet to make the seal!

Sponsored Links
I have and it's as good as gorilla glue - if your mortise and tenon joints are a bit baggy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back