Tips for frame and doors for built in wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals,

newbie here ...Would like some advice on right size wood for a timber frame that will be holding 7ft mdf doors.

The doors will be 7ft in height and 2ft wide ...Altogether there will be 5 doors.

The frame will be attached to the walls to make it more sturdy.I am using mdf 18mm for the doors ..Was thinking about using 4-5 hinges on each door..Will the hinges fix ok on the 18mm mdf (not sure yet which hinges to use) also will the mdf warp or will it be ok ?

Seen some stud at wickes which is 38x63mmx2.4 would this be ok to use with the mdf ? Was thinking of adding some Decorative mould to the front of the mdf. Using mdf for the doors as i am on a budget so that's ok with me lol.

I have a few tools so thats not a problem, but i am not very experienced with wood work but want to have ago.

Thanks for your time,could do with a little help
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you want an open wardrobe inside, or sectioned for each door? in which case you could use more mdf fixed to rear wall ceiling and floor to hang doors on, use at least 5 kitchen hinges for tall doors.If you use timber frame face the edge with more mdf for a consistant finish.

Hi thanks for your reply..The 1st and 5th door when open will have shelves inside and the other 3 remaining doors will have a continuous rail inside for hanging clothes ..

Would it be ok to use the 38x63x2.4m wood to hang the doors on as it would give more strength , i know it's a dumb question but you don't learn owt if you don't ask..

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The timber you suggest would be ok for middle doors but as you need a side panel for shelves use more 18mm mdf for the end cup's.When you purchase check each timber as it needs to be perfect to keep doors aligned [slightly larger dimension timber would be advisable if you have the room.] Does this mean you will be spanning approx 6' for hanging rail?

The timber you suggest would be ok for middle doors but as you need a side panel for shelves use more 18mm mdf for the end cup's.When you purchase check each timber as it needs to be perfect to keep doors aligned [slightly larger dimension timber would be advisable if you have the room.] Does this mean you will be spanning approx 6' for hanging rail?
Hi there yeah i would be spanning 6' for rail as i am gonna store all my old LPs on the bottom of the floor :D

By the way what do you mean the end cups :confused: You don't know where there are any good pics of fitted wardrobes with before and after shots in stages of building do you..Just might give me a few ideas.

Thanks once again.

on six foot i would have at least one mid support as fox says basicly wherever you have a hinged door support the rail but into the frame and wall via the shelve

you idealy want doors to be around the 14" to 18" mark to minimise the introusion into the room but give you a decent opening 16" giving you 3 doors from a sheet ;)

what is the exact size off the alcove or space you are spanning!!

Hi guys ,

I have had a change of plan :LOL: I am gonna build 3 boxes if you get what i mean and then join them together from the back rather than drill to wall. ..The first will be 7' high and 2' wide this will be a single type wardrobe but will have shelves from top to bottom inside..The next one will be also 7'high and 6' wide this will have 2 doors attached and one long rail going right across ..The next one will be the same as no 1 but will be at the end of the 7'x2' one.

I thought if i get the mdf in 18mm for the sides and backs and use 18mm mdf for the doors ..What frame size do you guys reckon to attaché the mdf to and for hanging the doors on..The room measures just over 10' so i will have a couple of inch either side left.

Will this be sturdy enough without attaching it to the walls or will there be to much weight ? Technically it's just like buying 2 tall slim wardrobes and one double and just pushing them close together..

I was gonna fix them together at the back as this would be easier to make 3 boxes because of the limited room to be able to fix the whole frame to the walls plus if i ever move then i can easily take them with me lol.

Any good tips from you guys will be welcomed. ;)

you cannot have an unsupported run off 6 ft with a hanging rail it will collapse

3 feet wide doors forget it they are to heavy they also stick into the room by 3ft can you imagine how dark that is if the window is to one side!!!

assuming your talking normal kitchen type hinges these work on a normal 15 to 18mm thick board iff you decide to use them and 38mm timber you will have 20 to 25mm strips off mdf between the doors to cover the timber you will also have between 7 and 9mm wisible timber on the hinge side "crack " as you open and close the door

go for 3doubles 35"wide or 5 doors at 21" and 42" for a double

i personaly would suggest the 6 door option then you can go for 15mm mdf with no frame as long as the the intermediate side pannels that doors hang onto go back to the wall

Hi Bg-all , the doors would be 2 ft not 3ft ...Also i was gonna make a timber frame then add the mdf to the frame then the doors.

For the 6ft wardrobe i was gonna make a timber frame with a support across the frame if you get what i mean...

The frame will be like a box so i can attach the mdf to the frame.

So as said the frame will be like a box if you can visualize it,i was not gonna just butt the mdf together without a frame as i know that would not hold the weight .

Maybe i did not explain it right .I would build a timber frame for the first wardrobe then put the mdf on,the first one would stand 7ft with a 2 foot wide door ( i did not mention anything about a 3ft door that you mentioned lol).

After all some wardrobes just look like a box till you fancy them up.Hope i have explained it a little better and i do appreciate as much help as possible.

Thanks

if i have misunderstood i appologise :D :D :D

all comments are ment to be helpfull and never sarcastic so please take them that way ;)

even 24" is a bit big if you plan on 48" unsuported hanging rail then it will probably fail
because i know how much people hang on rails i am very very reluctant ti go for 36" inches unsupported 1/3 sheet or 32" is my prefered maximum for double doors as its both practical and economical or that should be 404 including saw cuts ;)

Thanks big-all,

I think you are right...I will put an extra board of mdf down the middle rather than a continuous rail right across if that would work better !

So what would be better for the doors 15mm or 18mm ?

Thanks once again for your time.

what size and what sort off hinges would determin the mdf thickness
just keep in mind you need to source 15mm from a wood yard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back