TLED lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand this provides 200 lumens / watt - or thereabouts - and I wonder if there exist, beyond standard flourescent tube units, any fixtures which could be used in a more domestic setting.

Yes? No, not yet? I have not found any so far.

Thank you.
Phil

Sponsored Links
This web site explains the ideas in domestic they still seem to have problems getting to 100 lumen per watt, many GU10 lamps are down to 60 lumen per watt, and the role out strip can drop to 30 lumen per watt.

The big question is will people pay for the technology? I have bought GU10 bulbs at 75 lumen per watt at around £4 but to get G5.3 for caravan at 100 lumen per watt, 12 volt DC the price jumps to £20 each. OK for a caravan where we have a 110 Ah battery to last the stay, then maybe worth the extra, but for my house simply not worth paying out the extra.

The LED replacement for fluorescent may be 100 lumen per watt, but very little else even hits that output. A fluorescent with HF ballast is around the 95 lumen per watt mark, so to sell units to replace the fluorescent they have to be better, but in domestic people don't seem to worry about lumen per watt, so I would not hold my breath.

Thanks ericmark, guess I'll scour listings for something from the current technology (to replace CF lighting). I have seen the rash of articles Phillips put up on April 11, 2013 to herald their 'breakthrough'. Too bad technologists and designers have not yet got this into small round bulbs for our existing fixtures. Once a technology improvement bandwagon get rolling there will be consumers who expect more and more, sooner and sooner.

The LED replacement for fluorescent may be 100 lumen per watt, but very little else even hits that output. A fluorescent with HF ballast is around the 95 lumen per watt mark, so to sell units to replace the fluorescent they have to be better, but in domestic people don't seem to worry about lumen per watt, so I would not hold my breath.
If one thinks about the physics of this, the total electrical power consumed by a light+fitting (bulb/lamp/tube, plus whatever is involved in powering it - 'ballast', 'transformer', 'driver' or whatever) must be essentially equal to the total amount of light produced plus the total amount of heat produced.

It therefore follows that the cooler everything (particularly ballast/driver/whatever) remains, the greater will be the light output for a given amount of electrical power [i.e. "lumens/watt" (for the overall lamp+whatever)].

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks ericmark, guess I'll scour listings for something from the current technology (to replace CF lighting). I have seen the rash of articles Phillips put up on April 11, 2013 to herald their 'breakthrough'. Too bad technologists and designers have not yet got this into small round bulbs for our existing fixtures. Once a technology improvement bandwagon get rolling there will be consumers who expect more and more, sooner and sooner.
Check out http://enlitelighting.com/Lighting-Products/LED-Lamps-1.aspx their range is one of the best IMO. Lumen/watt ratios are way up there in terms of what other people are producing too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back