to go from the living room to the bedroom through the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know if a house where to go from the living room to the bedrooms the only way is to go first through the garage could be a single dwelling house and if this is legal according to Health & Safety Regulation and UK Building Regulation

Sponsored Links
Can't see why not.
In our house, we have to squeeze through the toilet to get to the kitchen; the bedrooms are accessible by going outside and up the fire escape; and the sofa and tv are next to the dogs kennel in the garage.

But if the house was previously a block of flats and has been allegedly transformed into a single dwelling house could it really be a single dwelling house i

If it was previously a block of flats, the owner would have required planning permission to turn it into a single dwelling house.

Sponsored Links
Yes the owner obtained a lawful development certificate to amalgamate the flats of this house into a single dwelling house but the issue is whether this house has really been transformed into a single dwelling house
Previously the owner obtained a planning permission to do work on its ground floor but it has not developed his ground floor in accordance with the planning permission and as a consequence to go from the ground floor to the upper floors it was necessary to go first through the garage. It is why that now that the house is allegedly a single dwelling house the occupiers of this house have to go first through the garage to go to their bedrooms in the upper floors. Moreover this garage is protected by a planning condition which says that it should be used as a garage at all times so it cannot be used for something else

The problem is that when the Council granted this lawful development certificate it was not aware that this owner did not developed his garage according to the previous planning permission

My question is could this house really be a single dwelling house with its occupiers forced to go through this garage each time they want to go from one room to another room and if there is not also an issue of health & safety and of UK building regulation

I need to prove for personal reason that this house is not a single dwelling house

How about you post a plan? Your posts are all a bit muddled really, that's why you're not getting much response.

I cannot post a plan that I have retrieved from the planning department website because it is not my house.

However I think that a plan will not be necessary. The layout of this house could be understood without a plan to go from the living room to the other rooms in the upper floors it is necessary to go first through the garage Hence I would like to know if this house could be a single dwelling house

The house next to me was split into 5 bedsits
The council ruled that because there were Yale type locks on each internal door it was not a single dwelling and that the residents did not have anything in common other than being unemployed. If it had been 5 nurses or 5 students they might have considered it one dwelling.

They were evicted and the house let to a family.

I cannot post a plan that I have retrieved from the planning department website because it is not my house.
Was that a plan which is in the public domain, or one which you obtained by illegal means?

However I think that a plan will not be necessary. The layout of this house could be understood without a plan to go from the living room to the other rooms in the upper floors it is necessary to go first through the garage Hence I would like to know if this house could be a single dwelling house
Indeed.

Why are you so concerned?

Any plan held on the Local Authority website online is in the public domain so anyone can see it. Anyway if it ain't your house what has it to do with you?

If the council have granted a certificate of lawful development, then the development is lawful, in planning terms, and it is a single dwelling house.

The development may not be compliant with Building Regulations, either now or at the time of the conversion, but whether there is any likelihood of enforcement action depends on how severely Building Control view any breach.

If you are a tenant in the property you may have recourse through Environmental Health / Private Sector Housing department at the council if the property falls below Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) requirements.

If you are a prospective purchaser then your solicitor will advise on what consents would be necessary and the purchase of any insurances advisable if such consents were not obtained.

If you are a disgruntled neighbour then why are you concerned and what do you expect anyone to do about it?

I cannot explain you why I am concerned because I do not want to reveal the identities.

However the reason why I am concerned is irrelevant because what matter is the law. I heard also that a house is a single dwelling house according to the law and to the balance of probability.

So the issue is whether a house where the occupiers have to go through the garage each time they want to move one room to the other is likely to be a single dwelling house or not and there is also the issue of Health & Safety which concern pollutants from the car, fire and psychological problem because the lack of space etc....

The reason is not irrelevant.

I am not aware of there being a specific law against it provided adequate escape for the bedrooms exist.

Anyway, as is the way with many threads: crap in, crap out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back