To not breach the flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a bungalow which was built in the early 1970s. How thick are the internal walls likely to be? I read somewhere that non-load bearing, solid internal walls in a modernish house would be 100mm; not sure about load-bearing, but presumably considerably more.

I'm asking because I intend to drill some fixing holes through a wall on the other side of a chimney breast, and I don't want to breach the flue. Which I know is very unlikely, but best be prepared.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Usually, the walls are 100 brick or block around a flue, so no worries re fixings.

However, if the flue is a gas-fire flue, there is a small chance you might have flue blocks, which are thin-walled.

But if the fireplace is for a conventional fire, you should be OK.

There are some redundant copper pipes in an enclosure to the side of the fireplace, so I think it might originally have had a back boiler which has since been replaced with a living flame gas fire.
Looking up the chimney I can see a tubular concrete flue, in sections, which is enclosed within a chimney of greyish bricks.

The fixings I'll be using will only be 50mm long, so I guess I'll be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back