To remove or not to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1950s house has asbestos cement gutters and down-pipes, which I have painted in the past, but as I get older I don't fancy too much ladder-acrobatics... they do seem to be in good condition still.

Is it worth the hassle of replacing them with plastic, or are they best left as they are, with a coat of exterior gloss every now and again? ( I may have to bribe the son-in-law!)

Sponsored Links
ARGGHHHHHHHHH asbestos.....keep painting them and keep quiet :confused:

if you keep it well maintained its great where it is no danger the status quo

if you disturb it ----
sorry it is not easy to legaly and safely handle it
it has to be safely handled and disposed off by registerd contractors at some considerable cost :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the first option of good maintanance [as long as you dont disturb it] is perfectly normal and acceptable

Sponsored Links
I guess I must say this in a whisper... who is Softus and why mustn't we wake him? Is he the dragon who is sleeping in those big skips we see dotted about? Or the Bogeyman behind the door? Or even - say this very quietly so we don't frighten the kids - a building inspector? ;) :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back