To Saniflo or Not: that is the drain question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

So I'm thinking of getting a new loo fitted and a quick survey suggests the foul drains being on the other face of the warehouse altogether. This means Sani-flo'ing the crap vertically 4 meters, across 30m and down again abit more into the...??(this leads me nicely onto my question)

1)...Where does the ****E go? The foul drains sit 2 meters away from the sites perimeter wall in the yard and lifting the covers revealed 4ft deep drains! Is our ONLY option to tap into the nearest soil stack vent with a suitable connector or boss/reducer?

2)...Whats the recommended Saniflo pipe diameter for this kind of setup bearing in mind the toilet will have heavy traffic?

3)...Whats the overall verdict on macerators? I heard they don't last long (5 years tops) and may require cleaning which....well: don't want to have to think about it. Every time I've seen one, its either too noisy or not-working rendering the toilet out of use.

4)....Are there any recommended 'heavy-duty' commercial strength types suitable for 20 factory workers who regularly go out for curries mid-week? Price/Aesthetics are not of concern: performance and reliability definitely are.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Get yourself on the website, they are what they are and despite what others may think they do have a place. If you accept the regular maintenance and that a replacement will be inevitable at some point and there's no other choice go ahead. I've seen them in commercial situations too plenty of times.

In a house, they should not be the only toilet!

But the OP has not told us what toileting the 20 staff currently use!

With so many people it would be sensible to use TWO new toilets to ease any problems if one fails.

In any case there may be a need to have two, one for boys and other for girls.

When I did some work for a very small shop run by one Irish man the council inspector told him he needed a separate female toilet! He came up with an ideal Irish solution, a male and a female sign on the toilet door.

Eating curries eases the strain on a macerator. In spite of Dan's views, I have no great concern about them and indeed have one myself. In eight years I have never had any problem with it.

They normally need 32 mm pipework. With two I would recommend separate waste pipes just in case of any blockage or leaks.

There are strict rules about workplace toilet provision. Makes me wonder what they do now? In any case what work are they doing there?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The 20 or so factory workers share facilities with 3 other businesses and the arrangement is becoming awkward with shared maintenance/cleaning costs etc....! More importantly, a regular **** break means a downtime of 20 mins due to the 150 meter back/forth 'walk of shame' across the shared yard. Its either Saniflo or those hired portaLoos!

Go for the latest Sanicubic from the commercial range, it will handle multiple toilets and washbasins and with the discharge pipe being 110mm it will never block. A service visit once a year will take around 1.5 - 2hrs.

Without stating the bleeding obvious, what is the possibility of putting the WC's on the opposite side of the building near the sewer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back