Toilet becomes internal - cistern overflow?

KFZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum,

Have small inside toilet that used to be on an outside wall before recent extension. The overflow went straight out the wall. I now need to redo the overflow.

Ive looked into an internal flush type overflow (in fact it has one but the cistern has a (fixing?) hole in the back so it will overflow and leak long before the overflow comes into effect. If I went this way this would be a replacement cistern, loads of joinery and probably a pan as well

Most obvious solution is to break into the soil pipe and run the overflow there, worried about smells, leaking back up the pipe and out the cistern.

1. I could make a little ubend in it (22mm plastic) but this will do nothing unless there is water in the bend? useless?

2. Dont bother it wont be a problem, just connect it up

3. is there a vapour trap i could put in?

Thx in advance

Kev

Sponsored Links
Can't you just block the hole up in the back of the cistern, Kev - and rely on the internal overflow provided?
John :)

Never though of that to be honest, its pretty weedy not sure it would flow enough if the valve stuck open.

might try it.

Ta
Kev

Is the internal overflow designed for you to shorten if necessary ?

When I replaced my flush valve, I had to saw off the top couple of inches from the (internal) overflow pipe (me being me, I didn't exactly cut it horizontally).

Cheers, Graham

Sponsored Links
Now I look it again I think the flush may be a vent not a overflow it looks too small. Will get a pic up.

Kev

I don't think it is an internal overflow now.... Not sure if I have any options here. Annoyed my builder has ignored this issue.....

Replace syphon unit with one having an internal overflow.

When I replaced my flush valve, I had to saw off the top couple of inches from the (internal) overflow pipe (me being me, I didn't exactly cut it horizontally).

Same here. The screw holes were below the adjustment of the stand pipe. Quick saw sorted that out.

The overflow is about 22mm, which will carry something silly like 1l per second. Probably enough for a complete fair I'd assume?!

Mine have only ever "leaked" - so would be fine during the day with regular use, then overflow at night when not being flushed all that often.

Just fit a short siphon (7 or 7 1/2") put a stopper in the overflow hole

The narrow red tube looks to me to be there to take a screw which would hold a plastic lid in place, but as it's a ceramic cistern the red tube is probably pretty pointless.

Is the whiteish (translucent ?) tube, by the blue ball, the current overflow ? It looks as though it could be an overflow pipe but might need cutting down a bit.

Cheers, Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back