Toilet Cistern Ball Valve Dripping - Which Washer/Part?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title suggests I have an annoying drip coming from the orange water diverter (on right side of picture below) once the pan is full.

Last week I shut the water off (in the loft tank as no isolation valve near toilet grrrr), drained the tank then undid the valve arm via the screw joint just to the right of the orange water diverter. In there I found a black rubber washer which was ‘O’ in shape (ie it had a hole in it (!) but had a raised ridge on one of the flat surface and it had signs of wear. I went to the local hardware store but couldn’t figure out what type of washer it was….none they had matched the size exactly.

I wonder if this washer was originally a diaphragm washer (ie solid not O shaped) but has worn through completely??

Does anyone know from the pic below exactly what washer I would need?

Failing that could anyone point me to a replacement ball valve arm (including the appropriate washer!) that I could simply screw on without replacing the whole valve unit?

If possible I’d like to avoid replacing the ball valve with a float valve as I’m not sure there is room on that right side of the tank – it’s very tight in there given the way the flush siphon is situated and I don’t want to replace that too! The bathroom will be redone in a year or so, so I’m looking for the simplest/cheapest solution to tied us over.

Thanks in advance!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sponsored Links
simplest method, turn off water, remove ball valve assembly, fit FluidMaster Bottom entry Brass shank Turn on water ( saves time effort and money) if you feel a bit ambitious you could always change the Flush Valve to a flapper valve at the same time. ( that is before the diaphragm in the current flush valve breaks up )
47792_P

The type of inlet valve you have at the moment has an internal O ring to seal the plain part of the body to the back. I find these are easily damaged, and the plastic of the body goes brittle. I'd advise replacement rather than repair.

I suspect the Fluidmaster won't fit in that cistern without removing and rotating the syphon and mounting the handle on the right hand side.

I've recently fitted a couple of Dudley "Hydroflo" valves, and found them small, neat and easy to fit. Have a look at their website which gives measurements of the valve. One word of warning, adjust the valve height BEFORE fitting it, its the devils own job to do it afterwards.

I suspect the Fluidmaster won't fit in that cistern without removing and rotating the syphon and mounting the handle on the right hand side.
Quick question. Can I rotate the syphon easily without taking the toilet apart?

Sponsored Links
The fluidmaster should fit in there ok, done many like that. If it passes the fill tube at the moment then the fluidmaster will sit in there, just may need a little wiggling and positioning for the float. If anything though, you may just have to hacksaw a little off the flush handle arm to miss the top.

No you can't rotate the syphon on it's own, it's a cistern off to remove to bottom nut to then rotate.

Be careful with your cistern, it looks like it is coming away from the wall and the left hand side fixing screw could easily crack the cistern. if you don't have an isolation valve under the cistern then call a plumber before there is a major problem/flood.

Andy

Thanks all. I ended up replacing the whole valve unit with a fit FluidMaster Bottom entry type as Bosswhite suggested. It just about squeezed in there!

Andy - I also fitted an isolation valve under the cistern while I was at it. The bathroom will be redone next year so hopefully the cistern won't fall off the wall between now and then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back