Toilet cistern confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, hope someone can offer some help.

My cistern stopped working so had to buy new flush bits. In order to fit I had to remove the cistern from the toilet. This was held on by 2 bolts though a metal plate which sat on a rubber donut. The cistern it self had no bolt fixing holes.

So having removed the cistern I noticed it actually has a hair line crack in it, sure it's not from me but can't role this out.

So best thing is to buy a new cistern. Problem I am having is that I thought the cistern was closed coupling but looking on web it would seem these don't use the brackets and would have bolts in the system. Do I have a low level cistern?

Bit confused as to the type to buy. Screw fix do a closed coupling cistern for 40 pounds but in plastic which doesn't bother me..what should I do please?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It will be a CC cistern but for £40 you should be able to get a ceramic cistern.
Are you sure it's a hairline crack ?.Does it leak ?

Yeah I think eventually it would leak and then be a chew on again to replace. So basically any cc cistern should work?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, any CC cistern which has the same fitting method to the pan as your current one will work. However, chances are the cistern fixing points will probably be in a different place (unless you are really lucky!)

What make is your original one? Probably be easier to source a direct replacement.

EDIT - what I mean by the cistern fixing points is where the cistern is attached to the wall. Normally a CC cistern will have a doughnut fitting and plate with the flow pipework directly into the pan but the cistern itself will be screwed to the wall at the back - usually two screw holes.

Anyone? Will any cc cistern work?

no, lay your cistern flat on the floor and measure from the floor to the centre of the flush outlet.
wickes in store do 3 or 4 different ceramic cisterns with the dimensions you want printed on the outside of the box,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back