toilet cistern filling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

New girl signing in.

We have no tanks in the house, all water comes straight from mains - hot going via the boiler.

Have recently replaced a ballcock cistern system which wasn't shutting off with a torbek(? - sorry can't find card for spelling) and this is working okay...
BUT - water appears to be leaking continuously into the pan and this causes the inlet water to always be "topping up" the cistern. So, I thought it must be the syphon bit that is leaking (the doughnut?) and thus causing the water to leak into the pan.

HOWEVER, the noise from the inlet pipe into the cistern has me really worried as it sounded like a hammer-drill. Is this just air in the pipe? The pipe itself isn't moving. If I replace the doughnut on the syphon will this stop the noise? Have simply turned off the water at the isolation valve and left it for a couple of weeks as I've been very busy...

BUT NOW... the downstairs loo - earlier in the water line to the ensuite, is beginning to make a noise. Is this air working it's way backwards through the system?

I hope this makes sense! Would be very grateful for any help...my husband is beginning to nag about having to use the main bathroom in the middle of the night! (he is definitely diynot! whereas I like having a go!)

Thanks in anticipation.
Hogwytch

Sponsored Links
Is the shut off point set a bit high on the new valve, so the water is running down an internal overflow?

You could try lowering the float a bit.
the water level in the cistern should be below the inverted 'U' at the top of a syphon, sometimes quite a bit lower. There is usually a mark inside the cistern. Often a 'tide mark' will show the point where the old valve shut off.
There may be a couple of seconds delay between the pilot valve closing and the main valve closing, which may contribute to the cistern overfilling.

Does the cistern continue to drain if you shut off the water supply?
That could be a faulty flush valve or leaking syphon. Sometimes a bit of muck can get jammed under a flush valve seat, and stop it closing fully.

As for the noise, have you fitted a flow restrictor in the new valve?

The seal between a close coupled cistern and pan is usually referred to as a 'doughnut' A leak here means water on the floor instead of down the pan.

The diaphragm in a syphon lifts water over the top of the unverted 'U' of a syphon. If the diaphragm fails, it is will not lift enough water to start the flush, the opposite to the problem you have.

Sponsored Links
HOWEVER, the noise from the inlet pipe into the cistern has me really worried as it sounded like a hammer-drill.

Seems to be a featue of the verdammt Torbeck. Apparently if you write to them they send you a new end cap, but (as a plumber) it's much easier to simply fit a better valve, like Fuidmaster.

the downstairs loo - earlier in the water line to the ensuite, is beginning to make a noise.
If it seems unrelated, it probably is, unless it's another Torbeck. Other types of valve can make motorboat engine noises if they need a new washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back