Toilet cistern keeps filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having noticed a continuous drip leak from an upstairs toilet overflow pipe I replaced the cisterns bottom inlet float value. Looking at the old one it was leaking at the top. This is one of 3 toilets in the house (2 upstairs and 1 down). Once replaced it continues to slowly fill (i.e. within a couple of hours its dripping and visible via the overflow pipe again).

I have also noticed the other 2 toilets have the same problem but intermittently. Could this be down to the water pressure coming into the house being too high? or maybe a faulty replacement value system?

I'm newish to the house but we seem to mains fed - only stop value I can find is outside the property.

Any ideas how i can resolve my frustrating problem?

Regards

Richard

Sponsored Links
Maybe the float valve water level is set wrong?

There is a little screw type thing on the float valve tap head were the arm meets it, flush the toilet and adjust the screw so the float valve arm is a little bit lower.

edit: oh I realised you said bottom inlet, on the arm that is connected to the float and the tap, you should be able to adjust there, so the float sits lower down the arm.

Maybe the float valve water level is set wrong?

There is a little screw type thing on the float valve tap head were the arm meets it, flush the toilet and adjust the screw so the float valve arm is a little bit lower.

edit: oh I realised you said bottom inlet, on the arm that is connected to the float and the tap, you should be able to adjust there, so the float sits lower down the arm.

I have also noticed the other 2 toilets have the same problem but intermittently.

i wouldn't of said all of a sudden the other two toilets are out of adjustment would you ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses so far.

I have adjusted the value so its at minimal fill to see if that had any affect. Unfortunately not. It still fills over time.

The value I am using is a Torbeck product. I believe the product comes with a low and high pressure restrictor. I will try to change the restrictor today and see if that makes any difference. It doesn't seem to tell me which is which but I assume the thicker comb would be for high pressure?

try using a fluidmaster float its designed for both high and low pressure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back