Toilet cistern leaking between cistern and bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new suite installed in January, and up till now everything had been fine.

The toilet has just started leaking between the cistern and bowl.

I've emptied the cistern completely and stopped it filling, but it is still leaking - a constant trickling, which if I leave it too long is then going through the ceiling and running down the walls downstairs.

It literally leaking under the cistern and onto, (not into) the bowl of the toilet and then down the sides of the toilet.

I've called our plumber and he can't get here until 5ish this afternoon. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to prevent it from leaking onto the floor?

Or any ideas as to what the problem is, so I can check?

I'm not great with plumbing, and am hesitant to make it worse!

Sponsored Links
If you've isolated the incoming water to fill it, and emptied the cistern, where's the water coming from?

I've not isolated the water fully by the stockcock as it were but the cistern isn't filling if you get what I mean. I have no idea as to where the water is coming from! That's part of the problem.

Photos below:

So I've stopped the cistern filling, using only the mechanics in the intern, not the pipes below as I not know how to do this or how to drain it, and do know we have one hell of a high mains water pressure here which I don't want to mess with (again).
1f0abf03554659d8a19a68c6cc654c30_zpsa454e2b7.jpg

This photo shows you the leak position:
8f5b92f9139a6f5351cb0b79664b6f3a_zps89c82006.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there a ballofix (slotted in-line isolator) on the pipe supplying the cistern? If so, shut it. Failing that, you need to shut off your stop cock, then see if the leak stops.

That's sorted the leaking. Thanks for that. Learnt something new there, and shown the missus as I'm away from home a lot.

At a guess the "Doughnut" washer between the cistern and pan has moved, Plumber should replace with new one.
I tend to silicone the washer in, this stops it moving when replacing the cistern.

Cheers guys. Our plumber got back to me and suggested exactly the same thing. Hopefully it is that simple! At least it's not leaking anymore!

A doughnut only leaks when the toilet is flushed. If the cistern was completely empty and there was still a leak, and it only stops when water is shut off, its likely on the union on the bottom of the filling valve, and could be spraying the underside of the cistern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back