Toilet cistern valve won't stop filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The valve in my toilet cistern doesn't close properly once the cistern is full, resulting in it continually filling which overflows into the toilet.

I guess it's a common valve type but I can't see how to adjust it, or identify if it is in fact broken and needs replacing.

I would like to know if it's an easy fix before calling a plumber?

Thanks in advance.

14114557_10157362781835574_2058278115_o.jpg
14123424_10157362782040574_190867955_o.jpg

Sponsored Links
Adjust this bit so it shuts off earlier and see what happens

upload_2016-8-23_15-38-32.png

Thanks for the reply.

Tried it at both extremes (and in between) but it still trickles.

Is there a rubber o-ring or some other component that could have failed?

Or any other adjustments?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not really...but you will need some basic ones. Can you take a photo where the pipe enters the cistern at the bottom?

You'll need something to loosen the big white nut on the bottom of the cistern (and the flexi connector nut). Refit the new one in reverse order.

Buy a pair of water pump pliers.
shopping

Shut off the water to the toilet > empty the cistern fully > loosen the chrome nut of the flexi pipe from the plastic pipe > loosen plastic nut > remove the fill valve from inside the cistern > dry cistern around fill valve hole > insert new fill valve into the cistern with rubber washer on fill valve against the floor of the cistern > washer on underside then new nut > tighten hand tight then use grips to tighten until you can't twist the fill valve inside the cistern > refit flexi pipe, if plastic threaded fill valve ensure nut goes on square, hand tight & then 1/4 turn with pliers > turn on water and adjust fill valve float for correct fill level if required.

If you're unsure about any of this give a plumber a shout to install.

Thanks guy, I finally got round to doing this job. It was very easy and I didn't even need the water pump pliers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back