Toilet Flushing after Fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since we moved into this house the toilet has done odd things.

We flush it, and it fills back up, then a couple of seconds later it starts flushing again (not fast but a decent amount). This goes on for about 20/30 seconds, then it cuts off and stops.

Today however, it wouldn't stop for about 2/3 minutes!

What could be causing this?

It's a rented house so we can contact the landlord, but it it's something cheap and simple I might just do it myself and save the hassle.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry for my ignorance, but what part is the siphon?

I'm not much of a plumbing expert as you can probably guess.

All I know is it's an "Ideal Standard" toilet (and I only know that because it's stamped on it) :D

This can happen when the water level in the cistern is too high. It should only fill to the line (which may be somewhat indistinct) marked on the back of the cistern - visible when you take the lid off, usually about 2" long in the middle of the cistern. The level rises as the washer wears out, so replace the washer, then reset the level using the screw, usually on the arm with the float on the end.

Sponsored Links
Did a bit more investigating today.

It seems to "extra flush" for around 30 seconds. Sometimes longer, normally 30 seconds.

Had the top off and had a look, and it seems to stop filling after a flush, then after about 5 seconds start this "extra flush".

Ball is obviously risen all the way up, so surely this should stop it being able to draw more water in. Could it be that this "switch" that the ball activates when the level rises is faulty and it's not cutting out the water flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back