Toilet Flushing - start, stop, start, stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help.

We get this problem about half of the time when the toilet finishes filling after a flush. Rather than the water cutting off nicely, it stops, then starts, then stops - at a beat of about twice a second. This goes on for a couple of seconds until it settles. It's almost like the ball is bouncing in the water (although I haven't actually seen this) - and it has the effect of wobbling all the cold pipes in the house to the 1/2 second beat. I'm concerned that if we leave it, we could be weakening some joints in the pipework somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? I lowered the house pressure (we've recently had a new stop tap fitted) and this didn't help.
A colleague is suggesting that it is a worn valve and that I should look to replace it.

Any thoughts? All help much appreciated.

MG

Sponsored Links
...It's almost like the ball is bouncing in the water (although I haven't actually seen this) ...

well have a look then.

it probably is.

you can get modern silent filling valves now which will not have this problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back