Toilet handle does not return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello helpful people. I've looked through some similar topics in this forum but would appreciate some advice as I am a DIY moron.

There is a fairly elderly crinkly shaped Qualcast toilet cistern in my new house. It flushes fine but the handle has to be pushed back. I've tried to remove the rod bit that goes from the handle through into the toilet to descale it and see if that helps. However the plastic bit that connects to the metal thing that connects to the siphon won't budge despite some gentle persuasion/heating etc. That means I can't remove the rod bit. Any suggestions as to how I can achieve this? I'd hack through the metal rod and replace the lot but the odd shaped washers make me wonder if I could find replacements.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the diaphragm inside the siphon has given up the Ghost

Remove complete unit and replace with Fluidmaster Flapper valve.
O0243_424925_00

Or get a strip of lead and wrap it round the end of the arm to give a bit of extra weight.

Try and remove the hooked piece of wire from the plastic thingy and check to see if the flush valve still works by pulling it up. Sometimes it's because the wire is being pulled up at the wrong angle. If the flush works then remove the whole handle assembly and fit a new one. Take the old one with you as there various types. If the screw in the plastic thingy (lever arm) will not undo, just cut it off with a hacksaw.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/toilet-cistern-lever-chrome/17031#product_additional_details_container

Sponsored Links
Thank you Gents for the replies.

I took squeaky's advice and managed to disconnect the bent wire from the handle mechanism. Manually flushed it worked fine. I guess this means it's the handle mechanism? I think I need one of these ( http://www.replacementbathroom.co.uk/qualitas-qualcast-charlotte-wc-cistern-lever-3457-p.asp ) due to the wedge shaped washers. Obviously the plastic connector from the rod to the bent wire is supposed to come off but it's stuck. Looks like a hacksaw job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back