Toilet slow to fill up cistern after flushing.

Looks like when I was fitting the new washer I manged to change the level that the water fills up to. I had a fiddle with the long plastic screw that governs the water level cut off point. I turned it so the float lowered down a bit and that seems to have worked.

I am useless at DIY so managing to fix this without calling out a plumber is a major victory.

Great forum by the way - this thread explained exactly what I needed to do.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
this is a great thread but my B&Q no longer stock these washers even thought they supplied the unit 5 years ago.
The Winnik site is Australian so where can I get a washer from?

OR this unit fits neatly in the corner of my bottom fill (from the corner) cistern - where can I find another unit which fits in the corner without the float jamming?

Hi - thanks for these posts! - It was exactly as I read in the above.

The diaphram looked absolutely normal at first when I pulled it out, but you need to carefully examine the rim of the rubber part to see the tear -- sure enough it was there!

And B&Q *DO* still stock it, bad news though - up to £2.99 now... look on their website for SIAMP

Sponsored Links
Same thing, got the £2.99 diaphragm part from B&Q, 10mins job done, thanks all, especially SniperOne who first diagnosed it. Thanks for sharing :)

I have the same problem as that recorded here and I think the solution is the washer but how do I remove the inlet pipe to get at the washer? It is about nine inches long and has the blue ball valve mechanism at the top of it but it's locked tight on to the base of cystern and I can't move it to get at the washer - any ideas anyone please?

Thanks for the prompt response - I'm not sure how this system works - I have created an album for pics and uploaded a picture of the cistern on to the album - but if this method of sending pics doesn't work I can send it by e-mail - thanks again - Eric

For future referrence, click on "Show My Images" and it will bring up the pictures in your gallery.
Click on a picture to show it in a post.

Like this:
View media item 44904

Thanks Mr Charnwood - I am at work now but I will do what you suggest when I get home this evening - will that then release the long white section under which the washer is located or am I completely on the wrong track? It looks as though it's cracked so I bought one from B&Q - the same make and price as previous entries on the web-site.

Thanks again for your trouble

Just fixed another one of these this morning, washer from B&Q cost me £2.78 this time :(

Yep just undo the the nut (make sure water supply is isolated first & flush pan) and remove the washer, I reckon it will have a split in there for sure.

Very helpful thread guys, thanks! I have the same issue, slow filling in both of our toilets. If I have to shut off the mains water supply, will it affect the combi boiler or anything?!

will that then release the long white section under which the washer is located or am I completely on the wrong track?
Answer to the second part - I'm fairly sure you are.
Answer to the first part - the washer is not under the 9" long pipe, if you mean the daiphragm washer.
The 9" pipe does not need to be removed. Undo the nut as shown. The diaphragm washer is in the valve, which is at the top of your 9" pipe.

Thanks again Charnwood for your help - however I can't for the life of me undo the big nut - I have taken off the float valve arm to give me more access but the inlet pipe is in the way of a spanner - I own up to being useless but I'm always up for a try - is there a special tool I can buy from B&Q. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back