tongue and groove flooboards over joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im just About to re lay new tongue and groove flooboards over the joists in my bathroom. I have everything to hand except floor clamps. Do I need to use floor clamps when Laying tongue
and groove boards ?.

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
tighter you get them the smaller the gaps when they contract
you need to compress the boards so as the moisture dries out they shrink and relax the the last little bit is the gap rather than the whole amount

12" bit off floorboard cut down the middle with a 1" taper over its length

Yes, you should cramp your boards up fairly tight before nailing, but there's no need to go as far as buying or hiring flooring cramps. The boards can be butted up tight using pairs of folding wedges and blocks. The blocks are temporarily screwed onto the top of the joist, two wedges are then slid in between the block and the edge of the board, and tightened by hitting with two hammers (or one hammer and a lump of wood). You need one block ad two wedges every two to three feet. The boards should be oriented so that your wedge cramps work on the groove side - put pressure on the tongue side with wedges or cramps and it will break

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back