Tool to remove shower thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
Hi I'm trying to remove this 'nut'. It's not actually quite nut shaped. It's around 50mm across and difficult to access as its best enough flush with the fitting above and below. Is there a special tool? Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the manufacturer will have an exorbitantly priced special tool to remove that, is there a maker?

I'd probably approach that with a small hammer and a screwdriver and tap that round if it's flush and can't get the jaws of an adjustable, water pump pliers, vice grips in there. Just go lightly as the brass will be softer.

Yeah looked high and wide for the tool and instructions from the manufacture. In their guide they simply say 'remove the holding nut'! I'm worried about the hammer and screwdriver approach in case it disturbs the pipe work as it was fitted by someone whose workmanship was not the best I've ever seen!

Sponsored Links
Just re-read your OP, that'll teach me to read properly :p. thought the nut was flush with the fitting it's in, not the fixings top and bottom.

Can't you remove the fixings above and below then get an adjustable in? Even then do they need to be removed to get a tool onto the nut?

I'd be trying that with an adjustable or a pair of vice grips at a slight angle.

Failing there being a proper tool, will a box spanner or socket fit over and allow the nut to be turned?
Must say that the usual way of dealing with something like this is as Madrab says. Tap it round. If you put the screwdriver straight in the slot, and tap the side, of the shaft as near to the end as possible, rather than using it like a chisel, you may get away without damaging the nut.
I've made tools for this sort of nut in the past, either a steel tube with a couple of "nibs" filed on the end, or a couple of bits of flat steel, bent over to suit, filed if needed, and welded bolted or clamped together.

Great thanks for these I'm going to give it another go. Let you know how I get on..,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back