Tools stolen from uninsured house- What would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On Wednesday between me leaving the job at 3.30 and clients coming home at 6pm, the house was broken into and cleared out. As well as customers usual stuff being stolen, my power tools were also taken. Left it for a couple of days before i brought up the subject of my tools being replaced through there insurance. Turns out they have no household insurance. Im in a bit of a position because they are genuinely nice people who have been treated terrible by there builder, but i need new tools. This come just a few days after my catalytic convertor was stolen off my van by other theiving low lifes. My own insurance does not cover my tools in another house., leaving me well out of pocket. What would you do?

Sponsored Links
I NEVER leave my tools anywhere else. You should of taken them home or at least have insurance for tool cover in other premisses. Sorry Tiler, this looks like you will have to take it on the chin.

Andy

Yes, as above. If I'm not there, then neither are my tools, ESPECIALLY power tools.

Don't think your customers are liable for ensuring the security of your equpment, unless it is written into some form of contract. If there's no insurance, and it is debateable whether a 3rd party's gear would be covered anyway, then I'm afraid this may be one of life's many hard lessons.

Only thing to suggest - try and buy your tools back on Ebay. ;)

Morning Andy, hear what your saying. I guess we should all take our tools home each day, but you know how it is. Anyways, my van was in for repair that day because some sh#t stole my cat converter and wrecked my exhaust in the process. That cost me £800 yesterday. Tools another £1000 ish. Gutted mate.

Sponsored Links
Not trying to be funny but what power tools does a tiler use??? :confused:

When a joiner gets his tools nicked then that does get expensive, believe me i know :(

When a joiner gets his tools nicked then that does get expensive, believe me i know :(

Yep, Tikerman, unless you have a signed T&C passing responsibility, I am afraid it is squarely your problem.

On the question of cost, try being plumber or RGI. A decent drill and and a FGA nicked off a a van is going to go past your grand.

Once had a 110v generator stolen, we only realised when it went quiet outside.

The other lads went outside to top the generator up with fuel and it was gone. They split up and ran down the road, they found 2 lads running away with it.

It was recovered, so we learnt something valuable that day.

If we returned back to base without it, it would of came out of our pockets. Thats how the boss was.

You lost it, you pay for it.

Once had a 110v generator stolen, we only realised when it went quiet outside.

The other lads went outside to top the generator up with fuel and it was gone. They split up and ran down the road, they found 2 lads running away with it.

It was recovered, so we learnt something valuable that day.

If we returned back to base without it, it would of came out of our pockets. Thats how the boss was.

You lost it, you pay for it.

i had almost same experience ,geny went of every few hours as it needed refill, power went off so i went to refill and it wasn't there any more just a loney looking lead:)

Your tools, your problem.
Not insured, time to fork out.

Never leave tools on site.

Just a guess but a radial armed wet cutter is quite an expensive bit of kit, mixing drills and what not. As for a carpenter, dont you boys just have a hammer and a jack saw :p :LOL:

this one off the reasons i seem to have to many tool sets lol

i cant drive [dont ask lol] so rely on others i work with for a lift so you understand why i love ryobi so much cheap and chearfull to leave on site rather than my 18v dewalt or 24v bosch :D

When I worked for an Intruder Alarm Co I was installing a CCTV camera on the roof of a warehouse, while on the roof, the ladder we were using for access was pinched leaving us on the roof!! :eek:

Seriously get your self "Contractors All Risks" insurance fairly cheap £around £500PA) covers tools & stcok ON SITE as well as cover for hired plant - however probalby wont cover for gear left in vans :cry:

On Wednesday between me leaving the job at 3.30 and clients coming home at 6pm, the house was broken into and cleared out. As well as customers usual stuff being stolen, my power tools were also taken. Left it for a couple of days before i brought up the subject of my tools being replaced through there insurance. Turns out they have no household insurance. Im in a bit of a position because they are genuinely nice people who have been treated terrible by there builder, but i need new tools. This come just a few days after my catalytic convertor was stolen off my van by other theiving low lifes. My own insurance does not cover my tools in another house., leaving me well out of pocket. What would you do?

even if they had insurance your tools wouldnt be covered, sorry but your tools are your responsibility,

Just a guess but a radial armed wet cutter is quite an expensive bit of kit, mixing drills and what not. As for a carpenter, dont you boys just have a hammer and a jack saw :p :LOL:

I know you meant that tongue in cheek, or i hope you did :D but during a bit of down time today i thought i'd make a list of all my power tools i keep in the van, also thought now might be a good time to buy seperate cover, so again a list will come in handy, i priced them up too as what they would cost ME if i had to replace them, NEW FOR OLD

This is what i genuinely keep in the van, no bulls hit....

Dewalt 18v circular saw...........................£380
Dewalt 18v jigsaw...................................£320
Dewalt 18v li-ion combi............................£360
Dewalt 18v li-ion impact...........................£300
Dewalt 10.8v screwdriver.........................£150
Dewalt 3.6v screwdriver...........................£80
Dewalt 10.8v inspection camera................£330 + camera ext £70
Dewalt 10.8v infrared thermometer...........£150
Dewalt 24v SDS.......................................£420
Dewalt 4" grinder 240v.............................£60
Dewalt radio............................................£170
Dewalt 718 slider.....................................£600