Tough masonry drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to drill a 6mm hole in some remarkably hard limestone.
It seems that normal carbide tipped masonry bits will drill perhaps 5mm or so before getting noticeably blunt and slow. Given that these only cost about £2 each, I can live with that, but just wondering what the "Rolls Royce" of masonry drill bits might be?

I've also tried a diamond-encrusted hole saw thing, but that didn't really work well for me.

I don't have an SDS drill, but suspect that the "Pro" nature of such things might make them a good option. Although for a 6mm hole it does seem overkill!

What kind of rotational speed would the panel recommend for this kind of application?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
SDS is the way to go and is the way the pros drill most things these days. I have had success with Bosch blue Construct multi materials drills in a cordless drill into Accrington brick - however my cordless combination is a Makita DHP481 which can easily outperform a lot of corded drills, so no surprises there

Rotary mode only to get through the tile as hammer action will Defford risk cracking a tile, then hammer mode once you are through the tile

Sponsored Links
Is this a limestone tile you're drilling?

If so then the diamond holesaw should have worked but they are 'non-hammer' and many need to be used wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back