Tower scaffolding and regulations when employing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm after some info regarding what I need to consider if I'm employing someone and using tower scaffolding. Lots of questions.

I've been using tower scaffolding, cupslock and tubing with couplings for years but it has either been working on my own or with / for my father. We have always used double rails, kick boards, gate, stabilizers, attached to buildings, extra catch boarding, secured ladders e.t.c.. My father has retired and so I am now going to be looking to hire a labourer. I think I can get away with only using the tower scaffolding for most jobs. Do I need any tickets if I assemble and disassemble the tower but any labour works with me on the tower? Does it make any difference if I have a young mans board between two towers (with additional rails e.t.c)? Or does this still count as tower scaffolding. The tower we have are two old steel towers. Solid but heavy. Do the towers have to be certified and so would I have to buy new ones?

I'm all for being safe but some of these regulations just seem like a money making exercise for training providers.

Sponsored Links
It's the working at height regulations which you need to comply with.

Generally, anyone who erects or dismantles scaffold should be competent and trained to do so. Anyone working on scaffold should have basic awareness training - including how to do the daily checks.

If you are not assembling a system tower or scaffold, or traditional scaffold to TG20 standard, then the scaffold needs to be designed properly - your staging board between two towers for instance.

iirc at least 1 of you needs to have a tower scaffold ticket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back