Toy stuck between sliding patio doors - door removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I hope this is the right forum!

My son has managed to get a small plastic toy stuck between our sliding patio doors; to the extent that the doors will no longer close completely.
I've managed to get previous stuck items out via judicious use of screwdrivers in the past, but this one's having none of it.
Unless someone can suggest an un-thought-of method of removal, I fear my only option is to take the door off.

BUT it's not immediately apparent exactly how to get the door off, what I've found on the internet suggests either removal of some sort of blocks, or simply lifting the door out. There's no obvious blocks, and the door will not lift out.

Any advice? Or do I need to get someone in that knows what they're doing?!

They're Anglian Windows UPVC patio doors if that's any help

Sponsored Links
a picture is probably the only way we can help

can you get it to half way up the side then with gentle pressure the doors will bend apart a few mm

a picture is probably the only way we can help

can you get it to half way up the side then with gentle pressure the doors will bend apart a few mm

I've attached some pics, not sure what I need to show you
This is the whole door
View media item 59991This is the bottom at the side away from the latch (bottom left on main pic)
View media item 59986This is the top at the side away from the latch (top left)
View media item 59989This is the bottom by the latch (bottom right)
View media item 59987This is the top by the latch (top right)
View media item 59990This is what's inside the frame near the latch (top right)
View media item 59988I removed it, and still wasn't able to get the door to come out

Any advice gratefully received!

These type of doors aren't meant to be easy to lift off but they will.

From outside look down the left side of the slider, you'll see a capping that is clipped to the side of the door, this is a mirror opposite of the same on the fixed door and between them they form the 'interlock' when the door clap together hence why you can't close the door fully, this interlock just clips into the side of the door, remove it with a putty knife or wallpaper scraper pushed between it and the door, push it in and lever the strip off, you may now remove the toy if not you need to lift the door off.

Remove the strip anyway, this will allow the door to lift as if it was left in place it won't allow the door to be lifted as it takes up the gap at the top of the door, there MAY also be an 'anti lift block' somewhere else along the top and as the name suggests it takes the slack out of the top so the door cannot be lifted, slide the door right over to the left and you may expose it, remove if its there and then eat some spinach then lift the door off the runner, you'll probably need a strong helper to be fair

Sponsored Links
These type of doors aren't meant to be easy to lift off but they will.

From outside look down the left side of the slider, you'll see a capping that is clipped to the side of the door, this is a mirror opposite of the same on the fixed door and between them they form the 'interlock' when the door clap together hence why you can't close the door fully, this interlock just clips into the side of the door, remove it with a putty knife or wallpaper scraper pushed between it and the door, push it in and lever the strip off, you may now remove the toy if not you need to lift the door off.

Remove the strip anyway, this will allow the door to lift as if it was left in place it won't allow the door to be lifted as it takes up the gap at the top of the door, there MAY also be an 'anti lift block' somewhere else along the top and as the name suggests it takes the slack out of the top so the door cannot be lifted, slide the door right over to the left and you may expose it, remove if its there and then eat some spinach then lift the door off the runner, you'll probably need a strong helper to be fair

Thanks, I'll take a look in the daylight and see if that's something I can do
Is the strip going to be reattachable, or is it a one way process?

Thanks!

Taking off the sliding door's interlock gave me enough room to get a screwdriver in there and hook out the toy (albeit using a hammer to drive the screwdriver INTO the toy)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back