Traditional ceiling rose light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new light from next. The light I'm removing has a loop circuit. My question is with the 2 loopwires do i insert them together into the plastic screw block supplied or Do I put one wire in one side and the cable in the other side of the block? Hope this makes sense I've taken pictures of what I have does anyone have a picture of what this should look like using the plastic terminal?
IMG_20170101_113118.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some put both wires in from one end, with the two screws clamping both wires, some put one wire in each end, with one screw clamping each.
Some even use both screws to clamp both wires, whilst each wire is entering from either end, though a bit tricky to do.

No way is really wrong, but the main thing is no copper is exposed where they enter, and definately no copper protruding from the other end.
The advantage of one in each end, is that it blocks the hole and helps prevent any protruding screw or part of the light from accidently going in the end and possibly causing a fault.

The advantage of one in each end, is that it blocks the hole and helps prevent any protruding screw or part of the light from accidently going in the end and possibly causing a fault.
Indeed. In fact, pedantic though it may be, if I have just one live wire going into one side of a connector block (i.e. if I am just 'parking' the conductor), if I have one to hand I clamp (with the terminal screw) a suitable (cut to length) nylon/plastic screw in what would otherwise be the 'exposed side'.

If I have two or more conductors, entering on both sides of the block, although (as you say) it can be difficult unless they are completely straight, I try to push them through the full length of the block (not protruding from other end!), since I am a great believer in the redundancy of two screws gripping all conductors!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back