Traditional leaded window repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the middle of pricing a restoration job on some old traditional leaded casements. I have no worry about the timber repairs aspect, I do that day in day out, but on this job I also have loose rattly leaded squares. There are also some cracked, and in fact one of the lead panels has almost fallen out of the rebate in the timber casement.

It's going to be a restoration job, removing individual glass pieces, re leading, waterproofing, cleaning up and bedding back in the timber casements.

I can contract it out, but I really fancy getting them on the bench and doing it myself.

Q1 Any good tutorials anywhere on the subject. Looked at youtube but all a bit bitty and corner cutting, I want to see the proper job done.

Q2 Materials! lead strip, waterproofing paste, whitener etc. Where to buy?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve.

Sponsored Links
We carry out lead repairs, there are loads of different size lead cames and you need leadlight cement to rub in when finished.

Any photo?

I can then tell you what want doing, not rocket science unless broken glass replacement, you can see some of my stained glass work in my album

Any photo?

I can then tell you what want doing, not rocket science unless broken glass replacement, you can see some of my stained glass work in my album

Thanks for the reply.
One of the windows is fitted into a timber casement and the other metal frame.

img0202ew.jpg

img0203sd.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not the best photos and it may look like not much has to be done.

But this photo may help a bit more.

The outer fixed lights are ok but the centre metal casement has rusted in the glazing rebate, thus blowing rust is pushing the leaded insert out of the rebate. So I have to remove all lead and glass, de-rust and paint the casement and re-glaze.

Okay that's great, what the face width of the lead cames and any loose glass?

Example A

h_flat.jpg

Hi, I am in the middle of pricing a restoration job on some old traditional leaded casements. I have no worry about the timber repairs aspect, I do that day in day out, but on this job I also have loose rattly leaded squares. There are also some cracked, and in fact one of the lead panels has almost fallen out of the rebate in the timber casement.

It's going to be a restoration job, removing individual glass pieces, re leading, waterproofing, cleaning up and bedding back in the timber casements.

I can contract it out, but I really fancy getting them on the bench and doing it myself.

Q1 Any good tutorials anywhere on the subject. Looked at youtube but all a bit bitty and corner cutting, I want to see the proper job done.

Q2 Materials! lead strip, waterproofing paste, whitener etc. Where to buy?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve.

Hello Steve

Saw you were struggling with how to work a leaded light panel. We've got the process of making a leaded light explained from A to B on our information site:
http://www.leaded-windows.co.uk/making-a-leaded-light.html

I think it should help a lot, if you want to know more on the materials side just get in touch via the contact page if you want, no problem.

Thanks, Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back