Traditional strip footings - water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've started on a small single storey timber frame extension at home. I dug the footings today (700mm cover in hard clay conditions) and uncovered water. I'm not in a high water table area. Initially It was running like a small stream then stopped - the water hasn't percolated. Circa 50mm of standing water.

The proposed location of this extension is at the lower end of a sloping site and could be the heavy snow we had until yesterday.

I've topped the trench with crushed granite mix thus displacing the water. What is the best way forward here if the water remains there tomorrow?

Considering raft foundation or just adding steel reinforcement.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Seems to me like you may have disturbed an old terracotta clay land drain.

We have bailed (pumped) trenches that have been virtually full of water no worries.

Don't fret about it now but when it comes time to pour have a hired puddle pump ready to get rid of the water. All you do then is 'bottom up' the trenches then add some dry mix concrete to the trench bottom before the regular slump pour.

Don't forget, concrete loves water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back