Traffic-free cycle routes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All :)

Friend is doing a sponsored cycle ride next year, from Cannock to Chester.
I was pointed towards National Cycle Network, in the hope of finding an off-road / less traffic-laden option for him.
Alas, unless I've missed something obvious on the website, I can't see any option for inputting a start and end destination, and getting a list of possible routes that join the two.
Do any of you knowledgeable peeps know of such a website / app / resource?

Many thanks in anticipation :)

Sponsored Links
That's 60 miles (Takes me about 3 hours to do 45 miles, after that I really start slowing down).

I am assuming he's on a road bike, he won't want off-road.

You can't use the website like you want, you have to manually look at the map it provides.

There are only bits of traffic free routes, and using them would add about 10 miles (guestimate) overall onto the journey, and being traffic free, they are probably a mix of good and crappy surfaces, poor surfaces really sap your energy.

Best stick to the roads for that kind of distance, unless he plans to go slow and take all day.

He's currently got an mtb Aron, although was looking at getting a road bike. He's also in no rush.
cheers anyway :)

That's 60 miles (Takes me about 3 hours to do 45 miles, after that I really start slowing down).

I am assuming he's on a road bike, he won't want off-road.

You can't use the website like you want, you have to manually look at the map it provides.

There are only bits of traffic free routes, and using them would add about 10 miles (guestimate) overall onto the journey, and being traffic free, they are probably a mix of good and crappy surfaces, poor surfaces really sap your energy.

Best stick to the roads for that kind of distance, unless he plans to go slow and take all day.

My best 25mile time trial was just over 56 minutes :)

Sponsored Links
60 miles on a mountain bike is fine, anyway, have a look at

It's all I ride, but on long rides it does make it harder to go faster than 15mph in more than short bursts.

Perfectly fine if you are not bothered about your time, and probably easier if so.

Back