Training and certification for a cement mixer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been asked at my work if our guys are trained and certified for using a half bag mixer. I don't have any piece of paper to say they do even though some have been using a mixer for nearly 30 odd years.

Has anyone done this before? What if you use different types. Thinking maybe a hire company would provide this?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's the same organization that provides training and cetification services for using a wheelbarrow.

Sponsored Links
Well you laugh but I went on a training course yesterday and had to fill in questionnaire and it asked if I had been trained to use a drill !

wait until youve been on the course on how to use a knife n fork.

One of my ex's worked for an airline, she was once given a certificate that said she was qualified to make and serve hot drinks. :unsure:

The worrying thing is its the way things are going. Needing a piece of paper to prove your competent for use of tools.
Their reason were we were operating plant without any form of training. Risks being it has rotating mechanical parts, COSHH for cement dust, if electric : electrocution risk or petrol : fire risk.

Safety departments just seem to continually search for obstacles to throw in.

Most times it's just to keep people in a job with HSE, checking that risk assessments etc have been done.

Most times it's just to keep people in a job with HSE, checking that risk assessments etc have been done.
I think you should both take a look at how many people have been killed or badly injured in construction work through history, and how many of those deaths and injuries, leaving families bereaved, destitute, leaving workers in pain or disabled, could have been avoided if unsafe practices were not allowed.

Generally H&S legislation is brought in because the evidence shows that there is a problem which needs addressing, that people cannot be trusted to use common sense, that employers cannot be trusted not to put profit before the health and safety of their employees, etc.

Risks being it has rotating mechanical parts, COSHH for cement dust, if electric : electrocution risk or petrol : fire risk.
If those are classed as risks then it will be because people have mangled themselves in rotating mechanical parts, they have damaged their eyes or lungs with cement dust, they have been electrocuted or burned, there have been fires etc.

I couldn't agree more regarding safety. When we didn't have any legislation people were just fodder to the construction job.

The picture below is the grave yard at Blackwater reservoir. It was constructed for the all the deaths during construction. (Most falls from height). One has the workers name as "unknown"

Congrats all round, Just been certified to use a flat screwdriver. Onwards and upwards, next week advanced course on Pozidrive. Looking forward to that one.

daz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back