Transfer TV and Virgin Media box capability to another room/house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving to the adjoining property while mine is being renovated. The rooms are only technically a wall apart but are different addresses. Rather then go through the mess of having to cancel one virgin media contract, starting a new one at a new address andthen having to cancel that when I move back is there anyway I can just transfer the picture and box capability.

I have thought of two options.

1) Using a audio/video transmitter to send the box signal to my tv to the adjoining property. Cost....£35 ish

The second option may be better quality wise in the long term, but I do not know if it will work. It could also be cheaper minus buying some external cable.

2) If both houses have a Virgin Media external box. Is it possible to just re-route the cable from going one property to another? Would this work or do virgin have some way of telling that it is going into another property?

Any virgin media installers know if this will work?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've got a wireless jobbie that lets me watch and control Virgin box from upstairs- works fine where I live but tried it in a friends' house (on the Isle of Man) and something in the vicinity was pumping out a lot of energy on the radio frequency used by the box so it didn't work.

If your next door place has a Virgin connection then you might get away with plugging your box into it- your box itself has a unique identity but not (as far as I know) the connection into the green cabinet. Of course, if the cable from next door isn't connected in the green cab then it ain't gonna work- only 1 way to prove or disprove that one...

Easiest and most reliable way is to extend the drop from your existing connection through to next door- some coax and a couple of F connectors will do it for certain, little 6mm hole in the wall won't be the end of the world in your scale of refurb. As long as you aren't adding miles to the cable length from the original setup then it should be fine

Rather then drill though the wall, based on what you say, option 2 should work then. I just divert the external cable (the one that goes into the external brown box before entering the house) to the brown box next door...job done? Any special connectors inside those boxes?

Sponsored Links
Long as you're not on fibre there might be a splitter in there, all on F connectors, nowt to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back